It is a civil claim whose subject matter does not exceed ten (10) million Uganda shillings.
A small claim does not include;
- Family disputes relating to the management of an estate;
- A claim against the Government
- A suit for defamation, malicious prosecution, wrongful imprisonment, wrongful arrest or seduction;
- A petition for divorce, nullification of marriage or separation of spouses;
- A case involving the validity of a will;
- A claim in which specific performance is sought without an alternative claim for payment of damages, except in the case of a claim for rendering an account or transferring movable property and disputes arising out of tenancy agreements not exceeding ten million Uganda shillings in value;
- Contracts of service and contracts for service.